The Date I’ll Never Forget

I will never forget this date because it’s the day when I finally, blissfully, decided to stop fighting the want within me.

Like the song says, It began to tell round midnight.  Round midnight we shed the artifice of friendship and accepted what had been fait accompli to those around us, to strangers on the street and close friends alike.  In random places, random people would frequently comment “you make such a lovely couple” while friends would charge “really… nothing happening there????” with the usual follow of “why not?”

We dated for more than a year but none of our dates were capital D dates with a capital C crush, or a big R romance.  We dined, we went to theatre, we walked down streets arm in arm only to part each night with fond memories and protestations of friendship.  I don’t know what took me so long and my only defense is that whenever you decide you want to start the rest of your life to begin, everything before – the good, the other dates, the mistakes, the placeholders – was not time wasted, but precursors and preparation… to this date.

So round midnight on this date, this celebrated day in spring, I asked the question and she gave the answer that will bring our lives together, welcome what we ignored until ignoring it wasn’t an option.

On this date, we’ve each had our last date.  On this date, we grabbed the haystack needle and agreed to happily tilt at windmills together. On this date, I happily entwine my life with a woman on my blogroll.  On this date I introduce you all to my future wife I’m Gonna Break Your Heart.

18 Responses to The Date I’ll Never Forget

1. notsojenny says:

YAAAAYYY!! Hooray!
    Congratulations to you both! that’s SO exciting! knowing what your future holds, who will be by your side, is the BEST feeling in the world. so happy for you!

2. Clever.

Also, thanks to this post, the phrase “tilt at windmills together” is now a requisite in my wedding vows. Romantic, literary, AND features a great verb! Clearly the romantic copywriters trifecta.

3. brookem says:

on april 1st and all! 😉

i really hope this isn’t a joke!

5. dan-E says:

nice try. well written though.

6. Okay. I was just about to leave an over-the-top, giddy, happy response that only a silly hopeless romantic could give when I read the OTHER comments and realized it IS April’s Fools Day, and now… Well, now…the gullible romantic in me wants to continue on with my over-the-top comment, while the realist/cynic in me wants to believe this is just an April Fools.

Congratulations…?? Either on the happy coupling or on completely fooling me!

7. carrie m says:

I hope this isn’t an April Fools…because what a lovely post and what wonderful news! So I’m charging on anyway: Congrats to you both!

8. Christina says:

Congrats! I wish the two of you nothing but happiness.

9. Red says:

I hope this is true because you deserve MUCH happiness. Mwah!

10. vazenchick says:

April Fools?

I suspect this is April fools but wish you a lifetime of happiness either way.

i have my suspicions, too, and just so you know, karma doesn’t take breaks for April 1st.

13. laloca says:

hmmm.

if april fools, nicely done. (did i ever tell you my first marriage began on april fools and ended on halloween? true story.)

if not, mazel tov!

14. magnolia2010 says:

i usually don’t go in for this stuff on 4/1, but if it’s true, that’s awesome news!

15. Gilahi says:

Assuming for a moment that this is not a well-coordinated joke between you and IGBYH, I have to say that it doesn’t mean you stop dating. I’ve been married for over 8 years and we still make it a point to go out on a date once a week. I think it’s very important.

I completely agree with you, that line was supposed to read “we’ve had our last first date.”

16. imgonnabreakyourheart says:

April Fools! I am absurdly proud of how many folks we fooled (even just a little bit). I love you dearly and know we will be together (as friends) for life.

17. Lemon Gloria says:

I was reading and was all whatWHATWHAT and how did this out of the blue WHAT? And then I got through the comments. Well done!