Visiting an Old Love – See You in a Few Days

It starts with the Acela train that lets me arrive moments before departure, allows me to use the phone and internet for the whole ride, has adult sized chairs and actual legroom, and then deposits me in midtown without so much as a wrinkle in my shirt.

There are so many things I love about visiting New York City, though I don’t think there is much I would enjoy about living here.  For the next few days, however, I am going to walk her streets, dine in her restaurants, drink in her bars, and, yes, take a meeting or three.

I’m going to hit the BlueNote, the Vanguard and the Algonquin for a little hot & cool swing.

I’ll roll through Circa Tabac, a place that was speakeasy cool years before that trend got annoying, for a cigar and a proper cocktail.

The aforementioned cigar will be purchased from the Davidoff store which, as the best cigar shop in the country, is like Mecca for cigar smokers.

There will be dinners at four stars, pizza at corner joints, very serious sushi, some uptown soulfood, and probably the most amazing dumplings I’ve ever tasted.

In truth, I am not sure I will get to all of the things I want to do as this is still a work trip, but I am looking forward to trying.  I’ve rarely been grateful for my insomnia, but this is one of those times.

************

By the by, I know that I owe you another installment of the Second Chances with New Vintages Series, I am working on it.

On another note, there is still time to nominate someone for the Valentine’s Contest

8 Responses to Visiting an Old Love – See You in a Few Days

1. Circa Tabac! Ah, old stomping grounds. I occasionally curl up around the memory of shared packs of Nat Shermans and a coterie of old friends… back when I did that sort of thing, I mean. The Nats, not the old friends.

I have some pretty fond memories of that place too.

have a great trip!

Thank you.

3. rahree says:

Just got back – and I vote vehemently against flying. Never. Again.

Enjoy your time – it really is a FABULOUS place to visit

I don’t understand the people who choose the indignity of airport security versus the relative elegance and comfort of the train.

4. k8 says:

Ohhh! New York! Soup Dumplings! And did you know I used to live in a building called The Algonquin? I’m going to have to find a picture of it. It was the most idyllic place I ever lived. Sigh. Have so much fun!

I got some really good dumplings… and I’m waiting for that picture.

5. elle dubya says:

one of these days i’ll make it there.

You just have to get there. It is a truly remarkable city and for me a great place for a visit.

6. Ahhh, I’m so jealous!! I’ll be making my way down to NYC in February and this post just got me even more excited for my trip. Have fun! Enjoy!

Glad I could help… and thanks.

7. Alice says:

i’m with you – i grew up an hour outside the city (nyc will ALWAYS be “the” city) and i cannot think of a better city to spend a weekend / afternoon / night / week in. but i’d never live there. 🙂

If I had a few million dollars, I might have a place there, but still wouldn’t live there full time.

8. kate.d. says:

i will probably be taking the train to nyc from now on, regardless of its absurd price, b/c $40 round trip on the boltbus is not worth getting my luggage stolen off the street at their 33rd and 7th ave stop. which is what happened to me on saturday.

seriously, it took me three minutes to make my way off the bus…and less time than that for an enterprising new york criminal to walk away with my bag. (and btw, boltbus driver, maybe in the future you could leave them in the belly of the bus and just help passengers get them out, not toss them onto the middle of the sidewalk? just a little constructive criticism there.)

so from now on, it’ll be the train for me…or i will learn how to pack *really* light and fit a weekend’s worth of stuff into a backpack. still had a great weekend though, and i hope you did too!

That is really unbelievable. Glad you didn’t let that salt your weekend.