Fill in the Blank Friday – A Baker’s Dozen

1. If I was on a first date with someone and s/he ordered a _________________, I would probably end the date early.
  2. When I’m sick I really want someone to _________________.
  3. I know that some people really love _________________; but I don’t understand how they spend so much money on it.
  4. I know that some people think I’m crazy for spending so much money on _________________; but I really love it.
  5. I’m so glad that I’ve out grown _________________ since high school.
  6. I am living proof that the stereotype about _________________ isn’t always accurate.
  7. I know that it is a made-up word; but _________________ is a permanent part of my vocabulary.
  8. I can’t wait for _________________.
  9. The most common misconception about me is _________________.
  10. I wish I wouldn’t _________________ but sometimes I just can’t stop myself.
  11. If I never heard the word (or phrase) _________________ again, it would still be too soon.
  12. I have a hidden talent for _________________ that no one would ever expect of me.
  13. I am not a fan of extraordinary rendition; but if it were to take place for crimes against _________________, then _________________ should be the first person on the place to Guantanamo.

20 Responses to Fill in the Blank Friday – A Baker’s Dozen

1. Brando says:

1) Lobotomy.
    2) Tell me that I don’t know what sick is, and get out of bed you lazy bum.
    3) Depression.
    4) Pizza.
    5) Being interested in high school girls.
    6) Italians being good with cars.
    7) Assaholism.
    8) The Weekend.
    9) My land speed.
    10) Snack so much.
    11) “Bro”.
    12) Scathing insults.
    13) Humanity; the guy who greenlit “According to Jim” for ABC.

Do they have meetings for Assoholics Anonymous?
    Though I’ve never seen According to Jim, I will most definitely take your word for it and reserve a seat on that metaphorical plane.

2. Shannon says:

1. A severed baby head. Really, a man can order an appletini and a salad and I won’t care.
    2. Bring me treats so I know I’m cared about, then back slowly and quietly away.
    3. Sports.
    4. Throwing parties.
    5. An inch and 25-30 pounds. I look much, much better.
    6. Those of Native American ancestry. I have never traded my land for shiny beads, for instance.
    7. Skeevy.
    8. My October staycation. Even though I hate the word ‘staycation.’
    9. That I’m silly and not to be taken seriously.
    10. Chug beer on a school night.
    11. “It is what it is.” I always want to say, “I yam what I yam,” in response. Runner-up: At the end of the day.
    12. Consuming my weight in booze.
    13. Common sense; anyone who wants me to feel sorry for poor widdle Roman Polanski

Those two answers to number 11 are in the Overused Business Cliche Hall of Fame. I tend to discount people who use them.

3. Christina says:

1-Fish
    2-make soup and leave me alone
    3-house
    4-my wedding dress (But I am selling it soon)
    5-big hair
    6-shorter people
    7-douchebag
    8-us to be out of debt
    9-I can be cold
    10-be so hard on myself
    11-well actually it is the song Brickhouse
    12-painting
    13-humans/robots (I could not think of anything)

OK, really? What do you have against fish?

4. 1. Pina colada. They’re nasty. I will judge you (okay, only a little) if you order one.
    2. Cut up a cold pear and make two slices of toast for me to nibble on, pull the blanket up over my shoulders, and then check on me later.
    3. Sunglasses.
    4. Yoga.
    5. Body issues.
    6. Tall people should play basketball.
    7. Kick-ass.
    8. The next two weeks to be over.
    9. That I’m an open person. It takes a lot for a person to get to the real, flavorful, good stuff.
    10. Talk just to fill silence.
    11. Moist. (I hate you for making me type that.)
    12. Untangling knots.
    13. The world; Dubya. With Cheney packed up in his suitcase.

I would judge anyone harshly for ordering that drink… unless we’re on a beach, or a tiki bar, or any place that gets one of the rare exception to frozen drink rules.

5. Jo says:

1) Yellow Tail (or some other crappy wine). Caveat, I’d only walk out if he were bragging about his wine choice.
    2) Take care of/baby me.
    3) Jeans
    4) My hair
    5) More mature and stopped caring what people thought of me so much.
    6) Latinos
    7) Nom Nom Nom
    8) Moving to a new house!
    9) That I’m too “emotional” I’m a lot tougher than I appear.
    10) Bite my nails
    11) I ditto “it is what it is”
    12) Video games
    13) Humanity, Glen Beck for being himself.

Not only does Glen Beck have a seat on the plane, he ought to have a reserved boarding pass, and an in flight movie that has a Kenny G soundtrack… might as well get the suffering started early.

6. 1. If I was on a first date with someone and s/he ordered CHICKEN TENDERS I would probably end the date early.

2. When I’m sick I really want someone to LEAVE ME ALONE.

3. I know that some people really love JEANS; but I don’t understand how they spend so much money on it.

4. I know that some people think I’m crazy for spending so much money on COMICS; but I really love it.

5. I’m so glad that I’ve out grown FLUORESCENT COLORS since high school.

6. I am living proof that the stereotype about SHORT PEOPLE isn’t always accurate.

7. I know that it is a made-up word; but TWIZZARD is a permanent part of my vocabulary.

8. I can’t wait for SPRING.

9. The most common misconception about me is I AM NICE.

10. I wish I wouldn’t CUSS SO MUCH but sometimes I just can’t stop myself.

11. If I never heard the word (or phrase) TWIGGAS again, it would still be too soon.

12. I have a hidden talent for TAKING APART ELECTRONICS that no one would ever expect of me.

Would chicken tenders be such a problem if said first date occurred at a dive bar where that is perhaps the only safe choice?

1. a meal that was still moving/alive when it came to the table
    2. tell me I absolutely *should* stay home from work and bring me fresh berries
    3. fireworks–we have a neighbor that spent over $1000 on them one year
    4. travel
    5. the need to impress the cool kids
    6. I have no answer–stereotypes are there for a reason. *blink*
    7. assclown
    8. Obama to get some traction
    9. I’m aloof
    10. post when I have nothing of consequence to say
    11. she’s/he’s a nazi
    12. spatial relations–I can work the dead space like nobody’s business
    13. animals, my college suite-mate

I am way over the Nazi references too. I really wish that people understood how offensive that is.

8. Vie says:

1) a meal for me, or the most expensive dish on the menu. I can talk to the waiter/ess myself. Impress me with WHO you are, not what you can afford, thank you very much.
    2) make me soup, hand me a blanket, and walk with me to the doctor.
    3) Burberry
    4) dining out
    5) most of my insecurities
    6) overweight women
    7) sketchtastic
    8) my next escape from the US
    9) that I don’t think things through. Just because people disagree doesn’t mean I don’t – I make value judgments.
    10) over-analyze
    11) “there’s plenty of fish in the sea” – that’s not true if you’re not a mackerel or herring.
    12) subtle, effective flirting.
    13) culture; Phyllis Schlafly

What if the date just ordered what s/he wanted and that just happened to be the most expensive item? Should one hold back for appearances sake and not order the dish they want? OK, maybe this one cut a little to close to my personal history.

hopefully you fill this one out yourself.

1. a glass of milk
    2. rub my back and give me medicine, pamper me
    3. designer jeans
    4. my Kitchenaid mixer
    5. much of my anal retentiveness
    6. people with apostrophes in their last name
    7. asshat
    8. pumpkin patches and other cliche fall activities
    9. that i have my shit figured out
    10. be so hard on myself
    11. it’s not the heat, it’s the humidity
    12. dancing

Where are these people who think Kitchen Aid mixers are an excessive expense? Bring them to me and we shall place them on the plane to Gitmo.

10. liz says:

if I was on a first date with someone and s/he ordered a fourth drink, I would probably end the date early.

When I’m sick I really want someone to be understanding, but give me some space, and maybe tea and toast.

I know that some people really love sports; but I don’t understand how they spend so much money on it.

I know that some people think I’m crazy for spending so much money on a professional organizer; but I really love it.

I’m so glad that I’ve out grown wiser since high school.

I am living proof that the stereotype about tall women isn’t always accurate.

I know that it is a made-up word; but clusterfuck is a permanent part of my vocabulary.

I can’t wait for my aqua pilates class.

The most common misconception about me is that i am ONLY a cynic.

I wish I wouldn’t worry about other people’s perceptions of me, but sometimes I just can’t stop myself.

If I never heard the word (or phrase) “well, that’s different,” again, it would still be too soon.

I have a hidden talent for art that no one would ever expect of me.

I am not a fan of extraordinary rendition; but if it were to take place for crimes against intelligence, then sarah palin should be the first person on the plane to Guantanamo.

I have no complaints about your nominee for a seat on the plane.

11. Gilahi says:

1. “Star Trek Special” (I don’t even care what it really is)
    2. Bring me a good book
    3. Video games
    4. Small-batch bourbon
    5. Bell-bottoms
    6. Men with long hair
    7. Cranio-rectal invert
    8. Vacation
    9. Since I’m a computer guy, I must enjoy science fiction
    10. Laugh nervously
    11. Paradigm
    12. Banjo
    13. Common sense/The NRA

I kinda like the word paradigm, I just hate that it is so commonly misused, which is, I think, the reason you had it on your list. And, yes, the NRA’s crimes are most certainly against common sense.

12. […] Graciously borrowed from my blog crush, Restaurant Refugee. […]

13. Alice says:

1. a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, but actually no meatballs, and is it possible to have just olive oil on the pasta? and only spaghetti, not the other kinds of pasta, because i don’t like anything with shapes? and make sure there are no tomatoes?
    2. pretend i’m just as sick as i think i am in my head
    3. shoes and purses
    4. my apartment
    5. a lot of m insecurities
    6. women. in general 🙂
    7. jackhole / assholiness / douchebaggery
    8. tonight: markoff’s haunted forest!
    9. this is a tough one.. i feel like i’m a pretty open book
    10. eat so much crap food
    11. “more [anything]-er.” like more funner, more louder, more prettier. AUGHHH MY EARS, THEY BLEED.
    12. cursing like a sailor (well.. people who haven’t already met me, that is)
    13. humanity / speidi

This made me laugh more than you can know.

1. Cosmo
    2. Bring me OJ and tea and tiptoe out the door.
    3. Sporting events.
    4. The same Corcoran class, just to have studio space
    5. Overwhelming insecurity
    6. Blondes
    7. Crankypants
    8. Summer
    9. That I’m really easygoing
    10. Say so many snarky things about people
    11. LOL
    12. Speaking Spanish with a Hindi accent
    13. Hilarity/the creator of Family Guy

You might wish to do it less, but for those who’ve had the pleasure of you company, you can be as snarkallicious as you like.

15. Gilahi says:

Well, crap. WordPress apparently ate my comments, but still managed to subscribe me to the new ones you’re getting. I really don’t feel like entering them all again, but suffice to say it would have been the funniest thing you ever read.

Your comment made it into the spam queue for some unknown reason; it has since been rescued from that ignoble purgatory.

16. Jaime says:

1. shirley temple
    2. take the kid, leave and let me lie on the couch in the dark and watch old movies for hours.
    3. hunting
    4. copper pots
    5. excessive eyebrow plucking
    6. Utahns
    7. asshat
    8. it to be time to go back to the Maine lake house
    9. that I’m bitchy.
    10. have had that 3rd cup of coffee
    11. Oh My Heck. (A Utah mainstay)
    12. Wii Tennis, wine consumption. It was a tie.
    13. cooking, Sandra Lee’s Semi Homemade show

My set of copper pots is older than I am – inherited from family – which provides the best reasoning for spending good cash on them. Oh, and your Sandra Lee answer made snarf Prosecco.

17. rahree says:

1. white zinfandel.
    2. would check on me, and offer to get tea/tissues/advil, but would leave me largely alone. With the tv remote.
    3. sports/sports gear.
    4. wine.
    5. bad boys.(high school, college…it took me a while to shake.)
    6. singers being the blondes of the music world. (it’s true…head to any freshman-level sight-singing class to see it in action.)
    7. comfitabuhls. (comfortable +cozy)
    8. tomorrow, actually. (why yes, my name *is* Pollyanna!)
    9. I’m put-together. (AAAAhahahahahaaHAAAAAAAAA!) I’m a hot mess. All the time.
    10. talk without thinking first.
    11. moist.
    12. comic book-style narratives.
    13. artistic expression….certain unnamed agents

Oh, come on, name names!

18. viewonderingnomad says:

Awww, no traumatic memories intended. It would bother me less if it was about the food – but I don’t often date true restauranteurs (sadly), and most of the people I date are also in their mid-20s and broke, so it just seems like a move focused on ego rather than food. If I knew that the person had worked in the restaurant industry before, I would be a lot less likely to judge, as should others.

19. Kristen says:

My answers are on my blog! Love this.

20. 1) the vegetarian entree
    2) leave me alone
    3) getting married
    4) rainier cherries
    5) (holds up photo from seventh grade, the one where my hair is shaved up in the back and I’m wearing acid washed, paper-bag-waist, cuffed, patched shorts) all if it
    6) women who knit (stop laughing)
    7) muchly
    8) my first book (the one I’m working on) to be published
    9) that because I’m Jewish I have any interest in anything Jewishy, other than the food (of course)
    10) be so taken with Bravo’s collection of reality shows
    11) “it would mean a lot to me if you’d….”
    12) constructing Ikea furniture
    13) stupidity, Palin (can’t she go away already?!?!)

PS: 98% chance I’m stealing this, with due credit of course