I suck at birthdays.
Even back in the day, before the ubiquity of cell phones and elimination of the need to keep numbers in one’s head, I still could barely remember birthdays. Nephew, Sister, Mom, Dad – those are the only birthdays I have committed to memory. One old friend who shares a birthday with my old man doesn’t count.
Among the Birthday’s I should remember but don’t:
- My dear friend, the Only Slightly Sleazy Lobbyist
- Every ex-girlfriend
- My ex-wife whose birthday I should remember only by virtue of the fact that we were married, but nope
- A good friend with whom I had dinner on her birthday… a couple of months ago… I think
- The most significant ex-girlfriend for whom I threw and hosted three birthday parties
- Everyone on my speed dial
- The woman whose birthday I used as a voicemail code
- My closest friend since the ninth grade
- All of the people who sent me good wishes last week on mine
Happy Birthday, John William Coltrane.
By the by, are there any musicians, writers, or artists who made such a significant impact in your life that you celebrate their birthday’s every year?
P.S. There is a new dish over at my Recipe Blog – Avocado & Tomato Salad with Crispy Pancetta