Shocked by Metro Employees

By the time I ascended to the Metro exit last Thursday night, I was angry with myself for having slept two stations past my stop and it being too late for a return trip.  In deciding to be fiscally prudent and save the cab fare, I had doubled the fare home.  It wasn’t until I was at the gate that I realized that my money clip (with my SmartTrip Card) was still on the train.

I resigned myself to having lost a couple hundred in cash, my drivers license, a credit card or two, and the several hours it would take to replace all of them, but first I had to exit the station.

“Excuse me, I left my wallet on the train, and it had my Smart Trip in there” I said to the attendant who was a few minutes from going home.  I fully expected him to direct me towards the emergency exit and my fate of losing cash and time.

black_money_clip_foil_stamp200“What car were you on” he asks.

“The last one; it’s closest to the exit at my normal stop.”

“OK, hang on a second” he says and makes a phone call.

I am shocked by his efforts but still have low expectations.

“We found it.  Let’s head downstairs; train should be here in a couple minutes.”

Five minutes later I have cash for the cab ride home, the same ugly picture on my license, and a renewed sense of the integrity and customer service of Metro employees.

One person went out of his way to help me, and two people looked at cash and decided to return it to its owner.  Doing the right thing when no one is watching takes true honor.

***************

It should be noted that my money clip does not have a monogram – I have no trouble remembering my own initials.

17 Responses to Shocked by Metro Employees

1. NATUI says:

That is freaking amazing. Restores one’s faith in the system, at least for a moment or two. That is perhaps the only benefit to our living at the very last stop–Hubbie can’t sleep through it. After all of August with the breakdowns and the non-functioning AC, it good to hear that something went right on Metro.

I am one of the few that believe that Metro has generally handled things well since the accident and subsequent repair related delays.

Wow. Just… wow.

Yeah – my thoughts exactly. I really wish that I had the names of the people involved. I sent a letter to WMATA but I do wish that I knew the specific names.

the kind of story that renews your faith in humanity. a great way to start a short week. thank you.

It was rather restorative for me too.

4. [F]oxymoron says:

That’s pretty awesome… really. You’re a lucky man.

Lucky indeed. In addition to the things that would have been lost, I am also grateful for not having a really long walk home.

5. Alleigh says:

Shocking…but great news for you!

I am trying to see it more as evidence that we shouldn’t be so shocked – but I am an optimist.

6. Kitty said it all.

Thanks for sharing such a positive experience.

We all need to hear more stories like this, no?

7. liz says:

wonderful!

That it was.

8. Christina says:

That is awesome!

That it was…too.

9. k8 says:

See?! There really ARE nice and wonderful people in the world! I’m SO pulling this story out next time my therapist tells me I have to be careful of trusting people too much.

Is that taking it too far?

mwahahahha!

I don’t think people should have to defend optimism in humanity.

10. Jaime says:

I love it when once in a while I am impressed with people’s honesty and integrity. I recently left a brand new (not one photo taken!) camera at a local sporting event. No one turned it in.

I just yesterday found someones camera near the side of the road. It turns out he had taken a photo of his drivers license (what a great idea), and using that info I was able to track him down by then sending a message via facebook. Camera being sent back to him in. . . .now only waiting for the good karma to come back around and return mine to me. Probably not likely.

I don’t know if karma is so direct – at least it hasn’t been for me. I like to think of it as more fungible piles of energy.

11. brookem says:

that’s wonderful. there are some good ones left.

I think, if we choose to look for them, there a lots of examples of the good ones around us.

12. citygirlblogs says:

At a time when there is so much negative press about the Metro and its employees, it’s refreshing to read this post. Kindness and helpfulness go a long way!

As trite as it is, it does take more muscles to frown than smile. I think that the same is true of kindness versus its alternatives.

the…. WMATA metro?

Yes, your WMATA Metro.

14. elle dubya says:

wish it was the rule rather than the exception.

I am not sure that those are mutually exclusive positions.

15. Kevin says:

Great story. We had a section called “Bouquets and Brickbats” in one of the papers I used to work for, and people would submit stories similar to this. This is definitely a Bouquet.

Of course, it just means you’re going to get mugged the next time you fall asleep on Metro. Remember to keep you cash in your shoe.

Of course, I’m kidding. I rarely, if ever, feel physically unsafe on Metro.

For all of the people that bitch about the Metro, I really want to ask them how safe they feel when riding, and what price they would pay for that safety relative to say Chicago or NYC.

16. magda says:

This story TOTALLY made my day. After being late to work for the second time this week because of “switch problems” on my route, this is just what I needed to hear! All the right kind of shocked.

17. I once had my entire handbag stolen, which included my car key AND my license noting my home address. Good times. The thief lapped local convenient stores buying $18 worth of Dorito’s here and there. And when he tried to sell my Palm at a pawn shop and the shop owner refused to buy it because it lacked the charger (?!?!?), the thief tossed it to a random woman on the street and told her to enjoy the gift. She then went through my contacts, calling them until she got my friend Chad. Long story short, I met her in the hood and she passed off my Palm. It was a beautiful day after all.