My Last First Date

I had my last first date today.  For those of you who know of my whorish ways, this may be a shock that’s larger than a bread box; but I am officially off the market… and she’s the one.  I know it with the certainty of my own name.

Ours was a chance meeting – I was just passing a store that could pound a nail I didn’t know was sticking out until I saw a place selling hammers.  Sydney seemed to be waiting for me.  Almost six feet tall with a crown of dreadlocks draped just past her shoulder, her look was almost regal.  Words were a melodic mélange of Caribbean, British, and Spanish flavors that reflected her Jamaican upbringing and British prep schooling.  I could sit for hours just listening to that voice.

Courtship moved so quickly – within moments of our meeting Sydney was massaging my neck and shoulders.  And that was before she really started to work on me.  Forty-five minutes later I knew I was in love…with the best haircut I can remember and I was off the market for a new barber.

12 Responses to My Last First Date

1. Kristin says:

It sounds like a first rate first date. Congratulations! Best wishes for a lifetime of happiness together.

2. Julie says:

Super smiles from Boston.

I couldn’t be more thrilled for you… this makes my heart so happy.

Welcome to the club 🙂

What a lucky man you are! Hold on to her!

4. titania says:

congratulations… really, I congratulate you with jealousy since I’d like to be in your place, and with a little bit of a broken heart too.

5. Lazygal says:

I’m so jealous – I once had what I thought was a lifetime thing, but one day he vanished into the ether. I thought I found another true love, yet after eight happy years together, she too vanished. I’m still on the market.

May yours last forever.

6. elle dubya says:

i’ve been seeing someone for almost a year now. we get along great but i’ve changed. it’s not her, it’s me. i think i’m ready to move on.

Ah! I fell for it! You tricked me!

8. titania says:

my jealousy reached new limits. After I read this, I needed reaffirmation, so I called him, the unique, the only, made a date for the afternoon, and got a long due haircut and highlights. It was the only option I had.

When you know, you know.

10. kathleen says:

i have to say, i was just thinking that your blog is so great to read, then i thought you’d fallen in love and the rest of your posts were going to be schmoopy. i do hope you fall in love. but try not to get schmoopy.

11. i recently ran into my hairdreser (whom i hadnt seen in quite a while) he ran up and hugged me… saying…

“OMG i thought we broke up!! but im glad to see youre just a shaggy mess!!”

sooo…umm he made me an appt for next week…
    xoxo

12. […] the past year or so, I have been getting my cuts from a lovely woman who doesn’t work in a traditional barbershop… actually Sydney operates from a beauty salon that caters mostly to Latin American women.  The […]