Quitters Never Prosper?

I never called myself a smoker.  I would always qualify my status referring to myself as a cigar-smoker, an occasional pipe-smoker, but never one of those awful cigarette smokers.  I justified this because I didn’t smoke that much.  A pack or so a week wasn’t that bad – I insisted.  My running excused me right? X number marathons equals Y years without having to explain, or worry, right?

The allure was easy and it had very little to do with the addictive properties of smoke.  Smokers were more fun, the conversations more interesting, and I smoked exquisite cigarettes.  I didn’t want to quit, but I have.  I didn’t want to lose those moments – over coffee, after dinner, with a drink, on the patio at a party – the knowingly shared moments, moments that border on being stolen.  I will miss the camaraderie of smoking as much as the taste of my particular brand.

Much like my friend, Foggy Dew, announcing my intentions increases the likelihood of success.  This is the rare occasion where my vanity is too my benefit – I hate failing, but public failure feels fatal to me.  Thus I share this journey with the interweb, I have even added a calendar* to track the time since I have had a cigarette.   Eventually the calendar will change to be the last time I have had a pack in my pocket because in a few months I will probably allow myself the occasional cigarette.

I will never proselytize to anyone who smokes, and if I am diagnosed with some fatal disease, the first thing I grab will be a pack of the exquisite cigarettes that I miss already.

* see the link to the right

22 Responses to Quitters Never Prosper?

1. I-66 says:

One day in college, around 2000, I decided to quit. I can count on one hand the number of cigarettes I’ve smoked since. Playing soccer 3 times a week will do that. The last time was in Atlantic City for my friend’s bachelor party. I figured I was already engaging in multiple vices, I might as well go all the way.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

2. Fearless says:

Ex-smokers are fun and interesting, too. And sometimes we even have intimately shared moments over coffee, dinner, drinks, on the patio. Those moments will still exist.

Good luck.

Smoker personality doesn’t change just because one stops smoking. Hell, I even know a few people who have smoker personality and have never smoked.

3. Nat Shermans, perchance?

I miss those. Haven’t had a cigarette of any kind in 7 years, but every once in a while, it’s tempting. Good luck – you can do it!

That’s a little scary, but yes.

4. Lemmonex says:

Man, I did the same in November. I realized I had gone from a social smoker to…just a smoker. No more cigs for me.

OK, I cheated the other night…but someone MADE me.

I look forward to being able to cheat sometime.

5. Kevin says:

We should start some kind of mutual aid society. I’ve heard Zyban works like a charm to calm the cravings. Either that or the blood of an innocent child.

No pills, no patch… it’s just me and the devil, mano et mano.

6. brookem says:

good luck buddy.

thank you.

7. Good luck to you- I’ve been “quitting” every day for about a year now yet on my morning dog walk I always seem to end up at the 24hour petrocan on the corner. I will need to be tied to a tree for about a month I think. Bring me food & water. Leave me there.
    I could never be a part timer- I’m all or nothing 1 cigarette= 1 pack to me.

I understand that notion. I have a friend who can smoke for a weekend and then not again for a year. I only hate him a little for that.

You’ll do it. Congratulations on making the decision.

thanks, I swear if I hadn’t gone public, I might have cheated already.

You can do it. Baby steps…

Thus far I have made it through two nights out drinking with friends, if I get through the weekend, I will know that the worst is over.

10. laloca says:

why have you decided to quit?

because at the beginning of the night her hair smelled like wildflowers and honey, and at the end of the night it didn’t.

11. carrie m says:

I just involuntarily shuttered. Why? Because I’m a smoker. Just a regular smoker, but addicted nonetheless. Best of luck to you – 5 days is already quite an accomplishment! You can do it.

There will never be preaching from this corner. I envy you.

12. ok but can we still sneak out of parties and such on occasion??…sometimes i just want an excuse to step outside..
    xoxo

yes, but you will have to bum the smoke from someone first.

13. That’s awesome, good luck!

thanks.

14. ella says:

i started smoking when i was 13 years old. i quit (for the last time) when i was pregnant with my now 5 year old son. there’s not a day that passes i don’t crave one. good luck to you

I started relatively late in life – 25. There is a long story and a woman to blame, but I know it’s my own damn fault.

15. Awesome …. I kicked the habit almost 2 years ago BUT I do have the occasional smoke. And by occasional I mean like once or twice a year.

Small doses can’t hurt right?

Good for you! You can do it, and even if you cheat occasionally, you’re still succeeding. If I’m afraid I’ll chicken out of something I really want to do, I always tell the whole world so I have to move forward.

As for smoking…I’ve always liked how it looks. I hate the smell, but I always found the look of it appealing. And I have heard that running does actually mitigate it – your lungs are likely a lot healthier than non-runnering smokers.

Yeah, I too bought into the Bogart-like cool of it. And my silver cigarette case is damn cool, but on the shelf.

17. briankainec says:

Smoking is so wonderful. I quit once for two years. I would occasionally just go out and buy a pack of cigarettes just to open them up and smell them. That was too weird to continue so I just went back to smoking.

Hahaha, I hope I don’t follow your path.

18. How about every time you crave a cig, lick a dirty ashtray? Just a suggestion. Might work.

And just think how much better food and drink will taste now that your buds won’t be burnt!

there is a long genetic discussion about why smoking doesn’t have an impact on my ability to taste wine and food, but I will leave that for another time.

19. Kevin says:

Suggestion for the silver case: Do a Johnny Dangerously and fill it with gum. Ya know, ’cause Michael Keaton is cool.

Michael Keaton was very cool in that movie, but I refuse to chew gum.

20. kathleen says:

my wallet is a 1920s sterling cigarette case from Austria. good luck, sir. just replace one vice with another. that seems to work for me.

like i really need another vice?

21. Serenity says:

I’m also in the process of quitting for the millionth time. Good luck! I’m also going cold turkey but carry emergency gum you know just in case.

For me it is not the nicotine, it is the taste and the routine I miss the most.