Second Chance, Different Place – Mark & Orlando’s Scores

After Yet Another Attorney Date left me sitting at Vidalia to enjoy an over priced Manhattan and an outrageously priced wine list, I reminded myself that getting stood-up is a good thing.  I blogged about the experience, again reminding myself that it was ultimately a good outcome.  I thought the chances were rather slim that there was a reasonable explanation for her behavior but on the off chance those reasons existed I sent an email.

Perhaps you were sitting at another place named Vidalia thinking the same things I was thinking. Perhaps you too had a cocktail or a glass of wine and kept looking at the door. Perhaps you too kept checking the email on your phone to see if some last minute change occurred. Perhaps you too finished your cocktail, two sections of the newspaper, and concluded that thirty minutes was enough time. Perhaps you too settled your tab and walked outside pausing to look both ways for a hurried date rushing to the restaurant. Perhaps we just missed each other in a completely logical and understandable manner. Perhaps you wrote Wednesday but thought Thursday.
Perhaps you saved me a great deal of time.

YAAD replied almost immediately and apologetically.  She wrote that her mind recorded the date for Thursday though she wrote Wednesday.  Her tone was sincere and she asked if there were any way to persuade me to meet her that evening.

I’ve been on the other side of this (I once went to the wrong Ritz Carlton) and didn’t have plans for the evening, thus I agreed.  We opted for drinks at Mark and Orlando’s.  YAAD and I talked animatedly.  She is a very good conversationalist, practices a type of law I consider fascinating, and is just lovely in general.

The chemistry was not instant but neither was it non existent.  Our conversation evolved as two friends’ might but with a low simmer flame burning underneath.  Around the middle of our night, the disclosure of YAAD’s previously unmentioned status as a vegan doused that low flame for me but not my enthusiasm for knowing her.  We continued talking for more than hour after that – it’s not that I don’t like vegans, I just can’t imagine dating one.

Our evening ended cordially and with the energy of two people who have platonic affections but certainly not the other kind.

As much vitriol as I had for Vidalia and their wine list, I have praise for Mark & Orlando’s.  Some might suggest the two have no basis for comparison as M&O’s is by comparison considerably more casual, the difference is philosophical.  The cooking at M&O’s is not as complex as Vidalia’s but it is soulful, careful, and very satisfying.  The wine service is not as elegant, the lips of the glasses not quite as thin but the wines are sourced with great care and priced reasonably.  Where as Vidalia seeks to return $100 for every $25 invested in their wine program, M&O is comfortable with a $60 return on the same investment.

I am grateful that YAAD and I eventually connected as I hope that she will be a friend, but also because it gave me a chance to reacquaint myself with a restaurant that had fallen too far from my radar screen.

18 Responses to Second Chance, Different Place – Mark & Orlando’s Scores

1. Lemmonex says:

I once totally missed a job interview. (I got some really bad medical news the same day adn totally flaked on my interview.) They had me back and hired me.

Like you, I could never ever date a vegan, vegetarian, or picky eater.

Food is just too important to us – I would equate it to a life long politician dating someone who refuses to vote.

2. brookem says:

i really like your email to her, and glad that you still ended up giving it a go. at the very least it sounds like a friendship might come of it, which is not a bad thing at all.

Thanks, I liked the tone of it too, and I hope a friendship results.

I’m glad you had the date. I believe her. I was a veg for a long time, and having had a lot of food issues, can understand most kinds of picky food behavior in women, but I can’t stand finicky men. I know it’s a huge double standard, but men have to be omnivores for me to be attracted. It annoys me that Nick doesn’t like most vegetables, but thank goodness he eats meat, even though I rarely do.

I’m glad I went too, and I completely believed her as well. That’s a double standard that I will neither mock nor question.

4. Sara says:

I have a fairly serious food allergy and I know this should make me more understanding of picky eaters but I just have no patience for those who self select. This may make me horrible, but I’m ok with it.

I understand and have patience for those who self-select for whatever reasons they might choose – I just would never date one of em’.

5. Shannon says:

I don’t mind if people have a few things they won’t eat (I won’t touch mushrooms, canned tuna, or mayo). But if your culinary “No List” is longer than your arm, you’ve got some growing up to do.

Culinary “No Lists” – not including allergies – need to be counted on one’s fingers.

6. I-66 says:

Good on you for going out after the evident scheduling error. I too would not be able to date a vegan. I like to cook now and again for the lady of the moment, but I have no earthly clue how to do it for a vegan.

Really when food is as large a part of one’s life as it is for me, I just don’t have a choice in the matter.

7. Fearless says:

As someone who is questioning whether I should be seeing a person who is both a vegetarian and doesn’t drink red wine, I could never find a choice like that shallow. Or, at least, no more shallow than my own choices. It’s a lifestyle issue.

It is a lifestyle issue, and I respect people who choose to lead a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle. I, however, would be unable to alter my lifestyle to be able to date someone who makes that choice.

I winced when reading that you “sent an email,” but I’m glad it ended well. It’s great how actual sincerity makes an actual difference.

Imagine for a moment if I hadn’t sent an email – she would have spent an evening at the bar convinced I was a cad.

9. You killed two birds with one stone. Went to a great restaurant and met the girl. Sounds like she sincerely made the mistake. Glad it worked out in the end.

Two thirsts one drink… or one bar at least.

Good for you. I too am a sucker for second/third/nineteenth chances if someone is truly sorry.

A man who doesn’t eat meat… that sentence just doesn’t even make sense to me. I can’t read or comprehend it.

I think a second chance was the least that courtesy required.

11. kjohnsonesq says:

So, can I borrow that email in the future?

Use it at your leisure, but I hope you never need it.

12. Angela says:

why are you trying to get me all riled up on ethics while i am at work!!!! come on now. god forbid someone not choose to indulge gluttony over kindness? equating this to not voting?

um. i believe it IS voting. i think you should try a little harder, my friend, in the culinary sense, at considering a different perspective on this. you’ve mentioned trying to cook vegan. how hard did you try?

i can respect the choice to eat meat. natural, and all. but supporting the industry is not an ok thing to do. making a minimal effort to buy local when available isn’t quite the same thing as actually doing the right thing.

sigh. i never understand how some people can share so many of my ideals, and then not equate them at all to another animal other than human. actually confuses me. oh well.

sorry for the rampage. we already know each other’s views on this. but at this moment it struck me.

You misunderstood the analogy. I make no value judgment in the association of not voting and choosing to be a vegetarian or vegan. The comparison is solely based on two people who posses diametrically opposed views on something of great importance to one party. When you frame the question of omnivore versus herbivore as a question between gluttony and kindness, however, you are making a value judgment about a choice I have made. Further, as someone who has had a longtime professional relationship with food and the people who grow it, I am comfortable with my culinary perspectives on this matter.

13. Shannon says:

Holy moly crack-a-zolee, do we have ourselves a vegangelical?

Veganism always struck me as a bit of a joyless existence, and when vegans go on these guilt rampages, it only confirms my suspicions. I’m sure it’s a great, healthy lifestyle, but when somebody starts railing about gluttony and cruelty, I get defensive and cease to care.

While I respect vegans, I have never cared.

14. Brett says:

Shannon, I think you meant “holy moly soy-cheese macaroni.”

I think everyone should be able to eat what they do or do not like, without having to defend their reasons. But your choices don’t make you any holier than anyone else.

“holy moly soy-cheese macaroni.” might be the funniest thing I have read in a decidedly unfunny day.

15. Angela says:

i’m up for debate here. how is that? which choices do make one more holy?

btw… i’m not a vegan. i go through bouts, but fail on willpower.

We love our bacon round these parts, trying to take it away is picking a fight.

16. kathleen says:

i really like the phrase ‘vegangelical’ — fitting! i’m the opposite, i can alter the foods that i eat based on what other people like. the experience of sharing food far outweighs any of the rest of it. i could never date anyone who would get offended by the idea of sharing.

For me, it is a simple matter of compatibility. The kitchen, food and all things surrounding it are too important in my life to be able to harmoniously share it with someone who wants me too cook without butter.

17. Fearless says:

Plus, bacon is yummy. Mmmmm. Bacon.

there is no denying the power of bacon.

18. Angela says:

oh… and note to self: do not attempt to debate while multi-tasking. makes one fall short.

I am sure that there is more common ground than you might think.