An Endorsement and a Proposal

I endorse, embrace, and enthusiastically support the crush.

In the same way that some would argue that the single cell organism is the purest form of life, I argue that the crush is the purest form of affection.  It is perfect, wholly contained, and needs no augment.  It can exist in a personal vacuum absent acknowledgment or reciprocity.  The Crush can be romantic, professional, artistic, vocational, social, bloggerational, and can even exist within the confines of a healthy relationship.  The crush is perfect.

To have a Crush is to engage whimsy, to embrace possibility, and in the extreme case to wrap oneself in the courage of romance.

With my friend Lemmonex co-hosting a Blogger Crush Happy Hour this Friday, I have been thinking generally about the Crush and specifically about my crushes over the years.  My crushes are more frequently inspired by words and wit than physicality these days.  However, I am not blind; I readily acknowledge that my head is turned by a pretty face but intellect sustains my crush and interest more reliably than rosy lips which are times fool.

This Friday’s blogger boozefest has the explicit theme of inviting your blog crush for a drink.  I posit that we should extrapolate the concept beyond the DC venue, beyond the date too.  Let Friday be the day that you send at least one of your crushes a message that you dig the way they think, write, move, act, play a sax, manage a meeting or whatever else inspires that tingle.  Whether that Crush is across the country or in the cube next door acknowledge it – embrace the crush wherever you are.

Let February 20th be National Crush Day.

About these ads

20 Responses to An Endorsement and a Proposal

1. I have a crush on the Clouded Leopards at the Zoo — they’re so pretty. I just want to reach in and rub their furry bellies.

Not sure that they will be able to read your email, maybe a box of bacon treats?

2. Adam Shake says:

Hey there. Just wanted to say congrats on making the “Blog” section of the “Express” Newspaper this morning.

Adam

Thanks, I haven’t seen it yet, and never would have if you hadn’t told me.

3. jamy says:

Can I still come if I don’t have a blog crush? I used to have them…but that seems to have all faded away.

Yes, you should still come to the happy hour. I am sure that you still have a crush on someone, somewhere who deserves to know.

4. Fearless says:

My crush (not so secret, much to the amusement of my colleagues) is my Veggie Delivery Boy. He’s young, adorably polite, painfully cute, and he brings his organic produce to my office every other Thursday, snow or shine. Wait a second…today is Thursday… *sigh*

No reason to wait until Friday.

5. Lemmonex says:

I invited my crush. Be brave, kids.

You kinda had to invite at least one of your crushes, no?

I shall name my crush tomorrow. His name is Snowball and he makes me happee.

Snowball is my drag name – you’re not talking about me right?

7. Iron Fist says:

I won’t have much access to the Internet tomorrow, I’m afraid, so I will take this opportunity to tell you that I have a long-distance blog crush on you. Your eloquence kills me every day, and I am unspeakably grateful to you for that.

That is very kind of you. I hope that a few other people are getting that message too. I just sent my email to Rachel Maddow; something about her cease and desist response was not that encouraging.

8. deutlich says:

awww.. I love that idea.

and since you were brave enough to out yourself recently, I am sure that the number of people who have a crush on you has ticked towards the stratosphere.

9. Sara says:

I got all flushed just thinking of crush day. It is a great idea and a very fun way for us non-DC bloggers to participate.

Anytime I can create a flush I consider my mission accomplished.

10. ohhhh. Crush day! I like it! I have a crush on a blogger in CA because he says such lovely things about his wife & kids & he’s funny as hell. I’ll muster up the balls and send something off. I also have a wee crush on you Mr. Restaurant Refugee. Funny, professional & can cook like a demon… what more could a gal ask for?

Well, did you send the note? and thank you dear, the crush is mutual.

11. ella says:

there is so much hope inside a crush. splendid idea!

the crush must be a personification of hope… is there anyone who couldn’t use a little more?

12. brookem says:

i wish that i could be there. i kind of have a crush on all you dc-ers as a whole.

there shall come a time when the dc folk shall meet the boston folk… there must, there simply must come this time.

Crushes are fun fun fun, and blogger happy hours are always fun. I’m very sad I won’t be able to make it.

Considering that the last one involved karaoke, I am sure that no one questions your judgment in skipping.

National Crush Day it will be. Great idea.

I disclosed, hope you did too.

15. I’ve got a few friends I’ve been meaning to visit for a few years now down in DC. Hopefully when I’m there you’ll be throwing a happy hour thingy.

If you give me enough notice, I will personally see to it.

16. But how do I distract the husband long enough to meet my crush out…

French Fries and SportsCenter, of course.

17. kathleen says:

happy crush day. i haven’t had a crush in far too long. it sounds like fun.

thanks, and I hope that you found someone, someway to celebrate Crush Day.

18. […] A year ago some blog friends were hosting a Happy Hour with the theme “It’s Just a Little Crush.” While a business trip kept me away from the boozefest, I extrapolated the concept to propose that 20 February be declared International Crush Day. […]

19. […] My fellow DC Blogger The Restaurant Refugee created a holiday, by official blog decree last year, called International Crush Day. […]

20. […] Two years ago some blog friends were hosting a Happy Hour with the theme “It’s Just a Little Crush.” While a business trip kept me away from that particular boozefest, I extrapolated the concept to propose that the date* be declared International Crush Day. […]