As I was g-chatting with my favorite Canuck last evening, we began to discuss our respective options for New Years Eve.  Neither of us was enthused about the options before us.  Considering options A through D it took a moment for me to realize that Option E – None Of The Above is always on the ballot even if not explicitly.

Considerably later in the evening/very early this morning, my insomnia hindered mind began to consider the metaphorical implications of voting for None of the Above.  Besides the obvious reference to the movie that inspired the title of this post, I started to view it as a philosophy for daily life.  For too long, I have consider mainly the opportunities afforded me or those I created as the only candidates on my mental, physical, emotional, intellectual ballots.

How would my life take shape if I checked the metaphysical None of the Above box?

How many dates would I have skipped?  How many parties might I have ignored?  Are there jobs I never would have worked, conversations I never would have had, mediocre blog posts never published?  Not that I would take anything back – regret is a wasted emotion – because I largely am a fan of the man that my experiences have shaped, but as simple as it seems, it was too rare that I considered not doing things.

I am going to a couple of parties this evening convinced of the likelihood of having a good time if not a toe curling midnight kiss, but I feel better in the  knowledge that I considered checking the box unseen and have a head start towards achieving at least one tacit resolution for the year.

*******************

To all of those who spend some of your time reading my ramblings, missives, advice, and stories, I am humbled by and unspeakable grateful for your time, comments, and friendships (real, virtual, unspoken, or otherwise.)  I wish you all a New Years Eve filled with good cheer, good company, better booze, and an even better 365 days until we all do it again.

I would be remiss if I didn’t send extra thank you’s to:

Lemmonex – somehow you became my blog rabbi, most frequent counselor and occasional drinking partner in the infancy of this place.  Thank you for your counsel and friendship.

Shannon – you were for a while the funniest woman I had never met; now that I am lucky enough to count you as a friend you make me laugh harder, and smile wider.

Katertot – I never would have thought that a silly contest idea would have yielded a relationship I value so much in such a short time but I do and I am grateful for it.

LiLu – whether it is over the interwebs, from adjacent bar stools, or g-chat, you have become so dear to me despite the cringes you induce on Thursdays.

Fearless – it’s not just that you keep my virtual company in our mutually insomniac moments, but that you make virtual feel so real.

Lisa – there has been no place on the interwebs that was the source for greater singular optimism for me than yours.  You have made me snarf coffee/wine on more than a few occasions when I have really needed it.

The Blogger I will not Name but Must Mention– our conversations made me want to be a better writer and I will never take our letters lightly.

The Blogger I Would Love to Name But I Have a Feeling Wouldn’t Want the Attention – you deserve the urgency you seek (just a reminder) and thanks for speaking softly, being the grand dame you are, and not spreading it around that I am a cheap date.

*******************

As it is Wednesday, I took my turn as contributing editor at DC Blogs.  Go on – check out that which moved me more than most this past week.

About these ads

16 Responses to An Extremely Belated Lesson from Montgomery Brewster / Since I didn’t send Holiday Cards

1. Lemmonex says:

Regrets really are useless.

And I am your rabbi! Holy crap, it is a new year’s wish come true. I am finally Jewish.

If you are finally Jewish, wouldn’t that mean that you lose all of your Shiksappeal?

2. Gilahi says:

Thanks for the mention in DC Blogs. Hope you have a good time at the parties and a very good new year. See you at the Bloggerational Ball!

Your post made me nostalgic for my days as a undergrad way down south. Hope you have a great evening too.

3. My “none of the above box” is usually in full-force. I’ve grown up doing things that I never wanted to do in the first place … perhaps this is why I utilize the anti-social box often enough, but not that often to make it noticeable.

Wishing you all the best in the new year. Let the midnight kissing ensue.

I don’t think None of the Above is anti-social, just that we make better decisions when we recognize it as an option.
    Have a truly happy new year.

That’s funny- it sort of dawned on me, yesterday, as well- that last option you sort of forget is there. It doesn’t sound bad at all… 4 bottles of champagne and some bad tv ought to do it…

Don’t forget the pizza or Chinese food delivery to round everything out. Have a happy, happy, not matter what you two do.

5. Fearless says:

Thank you, RR. Despite my inability to force myself out of the contemplative and into the festive mode this evening, I hope that you have a wonderful night.

Never too late to change your mind, but do know that I wish you a charmed evening no matter what you do.

Wishing you all good things in 2009!

You too, you too.

7. Liebchen says:

I briefly considered “none of the above,” but will probably find myself venturing out of the apartment this evening.

But it’s still nice to remember that the often hidden option still exists.

I think it makes whatever we choose sweeter knowing the choice is just that much more conscious.

happy new year! i wholeheartedly appreciate finding a blog written by a fellow guy who issues complete sentences when the situation so calls.

f.B., I too am happy that our virtual paths have crossed. Best wishes for the new year.

Oh, RR, big hugs to you! I feel so lucky to count you among my friends! I hope you have a fun NYE and I hope your 2009 is fantastic!

The pleasure has been mine. Good luck with your party tonight, and I hope it is just the fantastic start to the fantastic year you deserve.

10. carrie m says:

another excellent post from my favorite new blog in 2008. I will be reading in 2009. Happy New Year!

That’s awfully nice of you to say. Happy New Year to you too.

11. Shannon says:

Thanks for the warm wishes – and I’ll see you later if I can drag myself away from French press coffee and the Sims.

12. kjohnsonesq says:

Hugs, RR! My life has definitely become more full because you are in it. And I can’t wait to share some great laughs, some excellent bottles of wine, and some legendary adventures in ’09!

13. Brett says:

Happy New Year RR! I’m glad we re-connected. Hope to clink glasses with you again soon!

14. Happy New Year, RR! It was a pleasure meeting you in November. I hope 2009 brings opportunities for further social imbibing!

15. ella says:

none of the above…it’s like the greatest write-in ever. happy new years =)

16. freckledk says:

Happy New Year! It’s going to be a great one!